Day in history for March 29, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Edward Moran is desirous of finding a situation as a clerk or salesman in a grocery store. He can be found at the corner of Adams and Orleans Streets.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Closing exercises of the term were held today in Rock Island schools. The exercises were well attended.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island High School's basketball team is matched against Oak Park in the semi-finals of the state tournament.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island merchants affiliated with the Retail Bureau of the Chamber of Commerce will use tokens in assessing the Illinois 3 percent sales tax which goes into effect Wednesday. The plan was approved last night at a meeting in the Fort Armstrong Hotel.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A new sign sponsored by the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce and focusing attention on Rock Island's friendly and aggressive spirit has been posted on the billboard atop the Rock Island Waterworks.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The City of Rock Island has hired the biggest bill collection agency in North America to collect from people who owe the city money. Rock Island will turn over about $110,000 in unpaid fees to the agency. These fees include costs for damage to city property, street and sidewalks repair, refuse collection, weed cutting and other costs.
Back: Available days in March 2008