Day in history for March 28, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We understand that some 700 Germans are headed west with the intention of settling at this point. Some effort should be made to give them all the information they wish in order to induce them to settle amoungst us.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Farmers coming into Rock Island reported that the country near Hillsdale is literally alive with ducks.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Coach V.C. Hall and the Rock Island High School basketball team is at Oak Park taking part in the state tournament. Rock Island players are Richard Liitt, Andrew Voss, John Streckfus, Walter Young, Dan Brennan and Charles Larkin.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- While Alderman George L. Schmidt shouted charges of 'backing water' and accused some of his contemporaries of 'playing politics on the eve of election,' the Rock Island City Council permitted the $27,600 retrenchment program, informally voted for the city a few weeks ago, to shrivel to less than $2,000.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island's Federal Court was opened officially this a.m. with an hour and a half of dedication ceremony and oratory, accompanied by a forecast of a substantial load of federal case work.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Two of Moline's six civil defense sirens malfunctioned Sunday, blaring for about an hour before city electricians could turn them off.
Back: Available days in March 2008