Day in history for March 26, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Cairo Gazette says they have six inches of mud on the sidewalks in that city. It certainly is consoling to know there are people in the world worse off than those in Rock Island.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Sunday services at the Trinity Episcopal Church will be conducted by Bishop Burgess.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Chief Hastings of the fire department watched the fire drill at Rock Island High School and praised the students for their quick time in emptying the building.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A vigorous contest was under way on the floor of the county Republican Judicial convention at the Rock Island County Courthouse to determine the third candidate to receive endorsement for nomination for the bench in the 14th judicial circuit. The convention endorsed Judges Nels A. Larson of Moline and Leonard E. Telleen of Cambridge.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- John Andrew Peterson, 64, of Rock Island, today observed his 40th year as an employee of the Rock Island Bridge And Iron Co. He was surprised with a cake topped with a bridge of sturdy I-beams.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- U.S. Rep. Lane Evans, State Sen. Clarence Darrow, Moline Mayor Bob Anderson and members of the Moline American Legion attended the groundbreaking ceremonies at the site of the new Legion Park at South 60th Street, Moline.
Back: Available days in March 2008