Day in history for March 25, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The concert for the benefit of the German Lutheran Church will be tonight at the Island City Hall.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- James Z. Mott was nominated for the office of mayor on the Democratic ticket.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Students at Augustana College joined forces last night to honor Dr. E.F. Bartholomew, professor at the college for 20 years, on his 62nd birthday.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The signed contract of Albert 'Boots' Hollingsworth, whose southpaw pitching was an important factor in bringing Rock Island its first Mississippi Valley League pennant with Davenport, reached the office of Secretary C.A. Beers of the Rock Island ball club today.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The biggest single-unit farming operation in Western Illinois has ceased to exist. Final deeds that closed out the holdings of the Joseph Harrison estate in Henry County were filed last week. Involved in the largest land transaction in the history of Henry County were more than 4,200 acres of land that were transferred to new owners at a total price of approximately $1,333,000.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Local homebuilders, suppliers and remodelers are anticipating a better year because of high interest among potential buyers, lower mortgage rates and the national economic recovery.
Back: Available days in March 2008