Day in history for March 23, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The green, green grass, ever welcome in springtime, is already shooting forth, and will, ere long, cover the earth with a carpet of most brilliant hue.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Democrats of Rock Island held enthusiastic primary meetings in the 7 wards to nominate candidates for the election to be held April 2.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- By the vote of Mayor H.C. Schaffer in deciding a tie vote of the council on the independent telephone relief ordinance, the ordinance was defeated, and the Union Electric Telephone and Telegraph Company was subjected to a final throttling to end its struggle for existence.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Appointment of Warren T. Hodgett, Moline, as Rock Island County game warden was announced today at Springfield.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Lt. Col. Dayton Cable, his wife, the former Lucille Olson, and two daughters, Charlee And Stephanie, will leave tomorrow morning for Tehran where Col. Cable will be adviser to the Iranian Army. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Dayton A. Cable, 2141 18th St., and Mrs. Cable is a daughter of Mrs. Mary Olson, 2149 18th St., both of East Moline.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline High School took top place in the regional math contest for the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics held Saturday at Black Hawk College.
Back: Available days in March 2008