Day in history for March 22, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Quite a sensation was created Thursday by a woman performing feats at rolling ten-pins at the Rock Island House. She understood the game completely, and proved to be a match for the most experienced.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- There has been quite a demand for Easter cards this week and the cards are decorated more elaborately than ever.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Lawrence Evart and Viola Dale will appear at the Illinois Theater tomorrow evening in 'We Are King.'
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Deposits at the State Bank of Rock Island, which reopened yesterday, were nearly $86,000 in excess of withdrawals, it was announced this morning by President I.S. White.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Willie Fritz, Knoxville Rd., and Jackie Owens, both of Milan, were elected king and queen at the 4-H Sock Hop held last night in the Milan Grade School gymnasium. The event was sponsored by the Black Hawk Home Bureau.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A new system of distributing public aid checks and food stamps produced long lines, long delays and short tempers. The Illinois Department of Public Aid began distributing the checks and stamps at The Melin Agency, 1415 15th St., Moline, and First Currency Exchange, 1123 7th Ave., Rock Island, because of a rash of thefts from mail trucks and mailboxes.
Back: Available days in March 2008