Day in history for March 21, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Mississippi river is open as far as Prairie du Chien, Wis., and the steam ferry has commenced running.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- It is reported that the Rock Island-Moline Street Car Co. is considering the purchase of several new cars and laying another track between the two cities.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- An issue of 50 new blue uniforms for the Rock Island Naval Reserves was received this morning from the supply base.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Alfred S. Edler, Leo J. Herbert, Dr. A.E. Krueger, Charles Esplin and John C. Spring were elected directors of the Rock Island Junior Chamber of Commerce at a dinner meeting in the Rock Island Elks CLub. Retiring members of the board are Forest Dizotell, Hayes F. Murphy, William J. Ohlweiler, Herbert E. Ryerson and J. Eugene Chambers.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Malcolm J. Bosse Jr., of New York City, son of Mr. And Mrs. Malcolm Bosse, 2534 30th St., Moline, has had his first novel accepted by Doubleday Publishing Co.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Jan Nahrgang of East Moline likes to make dolls. She doesn't collect them, just makes them. Nahrgang, who has two shops in Princeton and Peoria where she sells her dolls and teaches classes on doll making, showed students at Franklin School in Moline the art of doll making during a PTA Craft Day.
Back: Available days in March 2008