Day in history for March 20, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The committee of aldermen appointed to take into consideration the purchase of another fire engine have reconsidered their first decision and decided to order one.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- As soon as the weather moderates sufficiently, the systematic cleaning of Rock Island streets should begin.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- As the annual entertainment of the senior class, a five-act comedy, 'The Rivals,' will be presented at Rock Island High School tomorrow evening.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Taxes to be collected this year against the 1932 assessed valuations in Rock Island Township will be $5 on each $100 of value. Moline's rate will be $5.29. Rock Island's rate represents an increase of 14 cents over last year. Moline gets a reduction of 14 cents in the Moline Township section.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island County Tuberculosis Sanatorium cared for 103 patients and had total expenses of $183,831 during fiscal 1957.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- About 30 area teachers sat around breakfast tables for nearly four hours Saturday telling horror stories about their districts - the school closings, teacher cuts, crowded classrooms and the desperate need for money. They directed their concerns and pleas for state revenues to Sen. Clarence Darrow, Reps. Joel Brunsvold and Bob DeJaegher.
Back: Available days in March 2008