Day in history for March 19, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We direct the attention of our citizens to the communication we publish today from Col. Buford enumerating some of the advantages which Rock Island possesses, and its fine location for conducting manufacturing of almost every description.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The steamer Spenser began running today between Rock Island and Davenport and was well patronized. The return of the ferry is a sure sign of spring.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Under the direction of George Hill, electrician, and Police Chief Eckhart, a new police patrol system was installed at the Rock Island station.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Seven persons were injured in auto accidents in the Quad-Cities over the weekend as rain, sleet and snow combined to give thoroughfares a treacherous coating.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A Rock Island test pilot, Lt. Col. Walter A. Rosenfield Jr., 42, and his flying companion parachuted to safety yesterday after their F1001 super Sabre Jet plane failed at 10,000 feet.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Knights Drum and Bugle Corps will hold its seventh annual 'Corps-A-Rama' open house at 4 p.m. March 27 in the gymnasium at Geneseo Junior High School, 115 W. Pearl St. The corps will perform selections from its summer show. Slide shows and video tapes, shot last summer, will be shown.
Back: Available days in March 2008