Day in history for March 17, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Horace Mann will deliver a lecture in Moline next Thursday. He is widely known for the active interest he has had in education. As a lecturer, he is one of the foremost of our time.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Next week the work giving the Harper House one of the best fire escapes ever patented will begin and will require at least two weeks before completion.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Lutheran Church will hold a mission meeting Sunday morning at which time the Rev. Nothstein will be installed as pastor of Grace Lutheran Church.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Mayor Earl C. Dean of Rock Island plans to retire, at least temporarily, from municipal politics at the expiration of his term as the city's acting chief executive. He added that he does not intend to be a candidate for election to resume his term as alderman of the Second Ward.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Over two-thirds of the goal of $38,008 has been collected by the Moline Chapter, American Red Cross, George Crampton, drive chairman announced in a mid-campaign report today.
Back: Available days in March 2008