Day in history for March 16, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We are pleased to learn that our old friend, Capt. Webb, will take charge of the Fanny Harris this season, to run between Rock Island and Galena. The Capt. ran the Flora last season, and no one was better liked for his accommodating and gentlemanly attentions.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The class of '83 at the Moline High School is comprised of three boys and two girls.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Several ministers of Rock Island are objecting strenuously to the installation of pool tables in the Y.M.C.A., and the board of directors of the association is reconsidering the issue.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A farewell party for Louis Kolls of Rock Island and George Magerkurth of Moline, who will leave shortly for their duties as major league umpires, will be held April 8 at the Cotton Club in Silvis. Both are widely known and popular in the Quad-Cities, and it is expected that more than a hundred baseball fans will turn out to greet them.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The deputy executive of Region 7, Boy Scouts of America, Forrest J. Sadler, arrived in Rock Island for a four-day inspection of the Fort Armstrong and Moline Area Councils.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The play 'Triple Trouble' will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday by John Deere Junior High School students. The play is a comedy.
Back: Available days in March 2008