Day in history for March 15, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- 'Uncle Tom's Cabin,' the beautiful And soul-stirring drama, was greeted by one of the most respectable and intelligent audiences ever to congregate at the Island City Hall.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- When the sun shines, the south side of 2nd Avenue is all slush. On the north side of the street car track, the dust is flying.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Workers at the R.I. Arsenal will be busy until the end of June, Commandant E.F. Hobbs stated. 40 men are employed on the night shift.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Clarence E. Hodson, Republican, will oppose Frank A. Meenan, Democrat, in the mayoralty election April 18. A total of 8,615 votes were cast in the primary election. Others nominated were Martin T. Rudgren and Carl J.L. Wessel, Republican candidates for city clerk and treasurer.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- An Augustana College debate team, Phillip Hubbart and Norman Lefstein, both of Rock Island, were scheduled to compete in the finals of the Heart of America Debate Tournament. In their preliminary round, Hubbart and Lefstein won seven debates and lost one to qualify for the finals.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Lt. Commander Virgil Bozeman III, son of Mr. And Mrs. Virgil Bozeman of Moline, was presented the Defense Meritorious Service Medal at the Lawrence Naval Reserve Center in Augusta, Mass.
Back: Available days in March 2008