Day in history for March 12, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A printer, who has small capital, can hear of a good situation for publishing weekly paper by addressing the publishers of this paper.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Considerable residence property on the hill is changing hands this spring at excellent prices.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Social Service Club went on record as favoring playgrounds in Rock Island, Moline and Davenport at a meeting at the Lend-a-Hand Club, Davenport.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island dumped Orion, 38-23, to take the district basketball championship before a crowd of about 2,500 persons in Moline Wharton Fieldhouse and will open in the Freeport sectional. Depue, winner in the Princeton district, will be Rock Island's opponent.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- 'Some things are going to be nip and tuck.' That's the way the windup of the construction of Moline's new senior high school was described to the board of education. The prospect of close timing in order to get the school ready for occupancy as scheduled at the opening of the fall term was presented by member Johnny Faust.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- 4 year old Shiloh O'Connor, rural Erie, won a new dirt bike in a Post cereal contest drawing. Shiloh's mother, Mrs. Dale O'Connor, mailed in an entry form from a box of Honeycomb cereal in January.
Back: Available days in March 2008