Day in history for March 11, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The benefit for the Rock Island Sax Horn Band was not very well attended.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- An attempt was made to blow open the safe at the Sears mill near Milan last night.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Kronoberg Military Band, the most celebrated musical organization in Sweden has been obtained for a program to be given at Augustana College March 25.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- By crushing East Moline, 45-11, in the Moline Fieldhouse last night, Rock Island High School's basketball team stamped itself as a probable finalist tomorrow evening, along with Orion, in the district tournament.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The policy of arresting minors trying to enter Milan night clubs or taverns will 'continue indefinitely,' according to Marshal Wesley Greenwood. Following the arrest of 17 minors over the weekend on charges of frequenting a tavern, Greenwood said he intends to continue making arrests 'until they get disgusted and quit trying.'
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Rocky musicians in band, orchestra, and vocal solo and ensemble competition won 27 first places and 31 second places at the Illinois High School Association music contest held recently at Chillicothe. More than 1,500 entries competed in the daylong contest for students in Class 'A' schools.
Back: Available days in March 2008