Day in history for February 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Snow commenced falling Monday morning and continued with little interruption all day. Its depth as we write is not short of eight inches. We have snow enough now for fine sleighing.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- A bursted water pipe flooded the Rock Island-Moline street car tracks last evening. Ice formed and a score of workmen were kept busy until this morning clearing the tracks for the cars.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Several persons were seriously injured last night when a bob sled collided with an automobile on forty-fith Street near seventh Avenue.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Quad City residents are experiencing 20-below temperatures this morning. This is the coldest readings in the last nine years. The Airport thermometer sank to 23 below zero.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A $50,000 improvement, including installation of new equipment and redorating work,is under way at the Model Cleaners And Dryers, 520 20th Street, Rock Island.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Unemployed East Moline residents may get a break on their water bill if the city council decides to approve a proposal fronted by the head of the finance committe. I would like to temporarily lower water rates for the unemployed with the understanding that they could pay back the difference when they are working said Kelly.
Back: Available days in February 2008