Day in history for February 8, 2008
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Shortly after 3 yesterday afternoon, a sleigh and team of horses belonging to George F. Reed of Davenport crashed through the ice bridge over the Mississippi. No lives were lost, but the horses drowned.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Elmer Stroehle assumed the letter carrier route of P.J. Cary, who retired after 17 years of service.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The principal speaker at the class adoption to be held Feb. 19 by the Rock Island Aerie of Eagles will be Judge A.B. Duncan of St. Joseph, Mo., past grand president of the lodge.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- It won't get worse, but won't get any better. The mercury tonight again will tumble to a below zero reading to compare with last night's low of -1 in the city and -4 at the Quad City Airport.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- This weekend East Moline will follow through with its promise to get tough with people who won't pay their parking tickets. About 30 arrest warrants were issued for drivers who owe for parking tickets but have not paid. We have several hundred people who have not paid despite warnings.
Back: Available days in February 2008