Day in history for February 7, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Businessmen look forward to a healthy and prosperous spring business if the season opens early and the bad paper money disappears from the scene.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- E.H. Anawalt and Fred Denkmann Jr. will represent Rock Island lumbermen at a conference in Chicago tomorrow.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- 'The Land of Dollars,' with Ezra Kendall will be at the Illinois Theater this afternoon.' 'The Red Mill,' one of Victor Herbert's compositions, will be presented tomorrow.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Activity in the Quad-Cities was frozen stiff today as residents huddled about their banked fires seeking relief from the 12-below-zero temperatures, the coldest weather for this date since 1930.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Edward Leasman, Davenport, found himself with a car today identical to his but owned by a Rock Island man. His keys worked in both the door and the ignition so he drove the wrong car home last night. Police reported that Clifford Hennings, Rock Island, reported his car stolen.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Northwestern Steel and Wire Co. is operating at only 10 percent of its capacity following a series of plant shutdowns. The only thing that will allow the plant to bolster its production is contract concessions from the plant's United Steel Workers of America union.
Back: Available days in February 2008