Day in history for February 6, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Though full of floating ice, the river is not yet closed. The ferry boat continues to make her regular trips.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Notices are posted for the election of a chief engineer for the Rock Island Fire Department to succeed James Johnson.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. E.F. Bartholomew of Augustana College returned last evening from Urbana where he attended the opening of the graduate school of the University of Illinois.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Attempts by the new union of Progressive Miners of America to compel operators of all mines in Rock Island and Henry Counties to recognize their organization today resulted in the closing of the Valley View and Sunshine coal mines near Coal Valley.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- An eye removal kit and the transportable vault for use in eye transplant operations in this area will be purchased as a memorial to Robert E. Rote by the Rock Island Lions Club.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Auto, bus and truck service garages throughout the nation may look to a Moline firm the next time they go shopping for exhaust eliminating systems. The firm, Monoxivent Systems Inc., was created Jan. 3 after Moline businessman John Sandberg acquired the Monoxivent Division of Kent-Moore Corp., Warren, Mich. The company's office is at 1852 16th St.
Back: Available days in February 2008