Day in history for February 29, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Democrats of the 3rd Ward meet at the Union School house on the Public Square, to take into consideration the propriety of nominating a straight-out Democratic ticket for aldermen and supervisors in that ward.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- James Johnson, fire chief in Rock Island for the last five years, was unanimously re-elected to suceed himself in that office at a meeting last night.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The new brick school building on the hill in Silvis was almost destroyed by fire this morning, a loss of between $9,000 and $10,000 resulting.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Nellie Seiler has assumed the duties of superintendent at Bethany Home, Rock Island, succeeding Miss Clara Bowers, who resigned.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island County civil defense directors will attend the first state-wide civil defense meeting of 1958 in Peoria. The local CD directors who will attend are E. Lee Siemon, Rock Island; Frank Hearn, Moline, and Donald Lemme, Rock Island County.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The River Bend Community Correctional Center, a 60-bed work-release center, in East Moline, is one of several state correctional facilities under consideration to be closed as part of Gov. Thompson's proposal to slash $800 million from the $8 billion general fund budget.
Back: Available days in February 2008