Day in history for February 26, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A situation is wanted for a young man in a grocery or liquor store. He is capable of taking care of a set of books, either in English, German or French. He comes highly recommended with references from Michigan. He can be found at Mr. Smith's saloon on the levee.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Thirty-seven marriage licenses have been issued at the county clerk's office so far this month. Cupid is doing a great business.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- A conference of Rock Island members of the county Republican committee was held last night. A thorough discussion of primary law took place. Dr. Joseph DeSilva was chairman.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Hugo Birkhahn, captain of this year's Rock Island basketball squad, was chosen vice president of the high school senate at its meeting yesterday afternoon.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Earth people will stride on the moon in 10 years or less, Albert Clark, manager of advanced nuclear weapons for GE Co., said as he addressed a meeting of local chapters of American Institute of Electrical Engineering and American Society of Mechanical Engineers in the Moline Legion.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Walter Kimmel of Moline have been selected as area chairpersons to assist with planning the 1983 Convocation of the Lincoln Academy of Illinois.
Back: Available days in February 2008