Day in history for February 24, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- An attempt was made Wednesday to enter the St. Charles saloon for the purpose, no doubt, of committing a burglary. Many complaints have been made of the inefficiency of our night police.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Harrisons gave one of their funniest performances yesterday at Harper's Theater.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Two switch engines were sent to the round house for repairs after a collision at 8 this morning at the foot of 17th Street.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A large number of parents of Rock Island High School students attended the annual spring open house program at the school last night and witnessed a program by the girls glee club under the direction of W.G. Rozenboom.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Seventeen-year-old Larry Bennett of Rock Island will make his concert debut when he will be violin soloist with the Clinton Symphony Orchestra. He will perform the Mendelssohn Violin concerto in E Minor. The Rock Island youth is one of the youngest members of the Tri-City Symphony and is a member of the second violin section for his second year.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- An agreement with an international marketing communications firm will allow Warren Anderson Advertising, Davenport, to become the first Quad-Cities advertising agency to offer worldwide services.
Back: Available days in February 2008