Day in history for February 23, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- An attempt was made to enter the St. Charles Saloon, for the purpose of committing a robbery. An entrance to a back room was affected, but the thieves were unable to make further progress.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The work of repairing the outside of the Central Presbyterian Church, to begin soon, was let to John Volk and Company.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Rev. W.H. Blancke of Davenport addressed more than 150 persons at the Rock Island Y.M.C.A. yesterday afternoon on the subject of prohibition.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Dr. F.O. Hanson has been financial and alumni secretary at Augustana College since May 30, 1928. He announced he has accepted the call to become superintendent of the Swedish Hospital at Minneapolis, Minn.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island merchants today were warned to be on guard against the cashing of a certain series of currency exchange checks drawn on the Northside Currency Exchange, Chicago. Cheif of Detectives Earl Maynard said two of the checks were forged and cashed in Rock Island on Feb. 12.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- It is only appropriate that a school named Washington should put on a play about George Washington on his birthday. The eighth-graders at Washington School did today. They presented a patriotic musical called 'Let George Do It'.
Back: Available days in February 2008