Day in history for February 21, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We met a friend the other day whose hair was standing up like bristles, dry and frosty. We recommended that he use Wood's Hair Restorative. He now has a fine, glossy crop, equal to the very best.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Alice and Louis Harrison, with their popular coterie, will present their famous comedy, 'Photos,' tomorrow night at Harper's Theater.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Freeport High School won the decision in the dual debate with Rock Island High School last night at Freeport.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Argus reported today that Sir Malcolm Campbell, famous British race car driver, yesterday cracked the world's automobile speed record by averaging 272.108 in two runs over a measured mile course.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Deere And Co, building plans for 1958, including expenditure of an estimated $3 million for new manufacturing, storage and power facilities on 3rd Avenue between John Deere Wagon Works No. 1 and Planter Works.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The 1955 LeFrance fire truck joined the Rock Island Fire Department about the same time Richard Miers did. But 28 years have gone by and fire engines improved. The old engine was one of five city trucks and graders sold at city hall. The truck went for $3,500 to the First National Bank of the Quad cities.
Back: Available days in February 2008