Day in history for February 20, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The cold, sharp winter weather is refreshing. The mercury Wednesday went as low as 16 below zero.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- It is reported that a little boy fell over the embankment onto the ice near the slough bridge this morning, cutting his head badly.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The man with a considerable quantity of hay for sale needs no introduction to any far off gold mine. Anything that looks like hay sells like hotcakes.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island High School debate squad clashed with Muscatine in a non-decision debate yesterday afternoon. Rock Island was represented by Peggy Huthmaker, Peter Denger, Robert Strupp, Jerome Zeffren, Margaret Strang, Arno Denecke and Hugo Sipple.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Moline's Wharton Field House will be one of 14 sites at which high school district wrestling tournaments will be held this weekend for the first time in Illinois.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A new federally funded job training program may be just what the doctor ordered for people in the Illinois Quad-Cities who are crippled by outdated job skills or paralyzed by no skills at all. Local government officials and business and industry representatives are currently in the process of organizing the program. It is scheduled to be operational by Oct. 1.
Back: Available days in February 2008