Day in history for February 19, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A number of Davenport sportsmen are desirous of testing the skill of their Rock Island friends in the use of firearms. They say they will shoot at any distance, from 30 yards to 400. The wager would be $50.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Pneumonia has reaped a large harvest in Rock Island since last fall and the end evidently has not yet arrived.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- This morning we found placards on trees and other vantage points about Rock Island bearing the heading, ' What have the saloons done for you?' Evidently an active campaign has been started by the prohibitionists.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Fort Armstrong Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, will sponsor an essay contest for the seventh and eight grade pupils in all the one-room schools in Rock Island County. Essays will be entitled 'The History of Our School.' Mrs. Grace R. Sweeney will be in charge.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Unemployment compensation payments to men and women in Rock Island County increased in January to $192,019, compared with $129,715 in December.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline annexed more than land over the last two years, it annexed people. 181 of them. And those new Moline residents add up to additional motor fuel tax dollars. Each new resident is worth an additional $12 in MFT.
Back: Available days in February 2008