Day in history for February 16, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Many complaints have been made to us about the inefficiency of our night police. If they do not discharge their duties faithfully, the proper authorities should look after them.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock River Bridge near Moline is in danger of being washed away as water is within 8 feet of the flooring.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Colonel William T. Channon of the Sixth Regiment of the Illinois National Guard departed on a trip of inspection this afternoon. He will inspect all companies of the regiment.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Maurice Meyer, 25, last night broke down and told the story of the death of Miss Rose Gendler, 22, whose body was found Dec. 22. The body was found bound and trussed in a burlap sack on the ice of the Rock River beneath the highest point of the Moline Bridge.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- It was one down and two to go in the broken main department of the East Moline waterworks today. Severe weather blamed for the destruction of pipes was also responsible for delays in repairs.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council approved $456,000 worth of improvements at 44th Street and Black Hawk Road to help pave the way for a new shopping center and apartment complex. The 44,000-square foot shopping center will house about a dozen stores.
Back: Available days in February 2008