Day in history for February 14, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We understand that a number of young ladies and gentlemen are making preparations to give an entertainment at the Island City Hall for the benefit of the poor.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- A blizzard kept the attendance at the Rock Island public schools down to a low number today.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The new industrial store of the Salvation Army at 14th Street and 2nd Avenue was opened this morning.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Announcement was made today of a plan for reopening the State Bank of Rock Island under waiver agreements which are to be sought from depositors by a citizens and depositors committee. In substance, the plan calls for unconditional waiver of 25 percent of all money deposited.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for a boat-launching site at the foot of East Moline's 7th Street received additional support at a meeting of the Izaak Walton League. Preliminary work in gaining land rights and clearing the site started several months ago.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Martin Clinical Laboratory, Moline, is merging with a Springfield-based firm and will be moved and expanded. Dr. Lowell Martin, who has operated the lab for 31 years, will stay on as consulting director. Bio-Diagnostic Medical Laboratories is one of the first tenants of Stephens Park Center, a new medical building.
Back: Available days in February 2008