Day in history for February 11, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Snow commenced falling yesterday and continued with little interruption all day. Its depth at the present time is just short of nine inches.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The first real thaw of the winter began today. Street commissioners should clear the gutters without delay so the streets will not be flooded with water and slush.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- William Mueller of the Mueller Lumber Co. is in Chicago this week attending the retail lumber dealers convention.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Gov. Horner will appoint a Democrat to the circuit bench of the 14th Judicial District to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge Charles J. Searle of Rock Island. It is believed there has never been a Democratic circuit judge in the district.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island led the Quad-City area in permits for residential building during January. Twelve permits were issued in Rock Island for one and two-family units.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The St. George Emblem was presented to Leon C. VanLauwe, of Moline and to Fred DeCoster of Moline during ceremonies at a mass at Sacred Heart Catholic Church. St. George award,is a national recognition approved by the National Catholic Committee on Scouting and the Bishop of the diocese of Peoria.
Back: Available days in February 2008