Day in history for January 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- It may be that some of our readers are not aware that Prof. Robinson has opened a school where he will give dancing lessons.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Teamsters along 5th Ave. should be careful not to leave chunks of ice scattered along the highway. They are obstructions to the traffic.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island YMCA basketball team defeated Muscatine, 34-26, last night in Rock Island.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Featuring a program of familiar numbers and singing, the second concert of the Tri-city Symphony Orchestra was presented before an audience of about 800 persons at the Augustana College auditorium.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Robert L. Hubbard, Rock Island, executive board member of the Fort Armstrong Area Council of Boy Scouts and council advancement committee chairman, today was named chairman of the 1958 Scout-O-Rama. The event is held annually at the Rock Island Armory. The Scout-O-Rama annually involves 2,000 Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Explorer Scouts in the council. Attendance is expected to reach 10,000.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline police are investigating the theft of approximately $14,000 in equipment from Old Town Mobil, 1901 7th St., Moline, Friday night or early Saturday morning. Police said thieves gained entry by breaking a glass window in a door.
Back: Available days in January 2008