Day in history for January 8, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The ladies who do not visit Frederick Moss's fancy dry goods store miss the chance of buying goods cheaply. His goods are fresh, fashionable and seasonable.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The town tax collector, Major Frazer Wilson, states that his office is located in the Western Union Telegraph Co building and is now ready to receive taxes for 1882.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Company A last night resumed its regular weekly drill in the Armory and will continue until the annual week in camp during the summer.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- After a poor start, the Rock Island basketball team rallied to defeat Orion, 29-15, in the Orion gymnasium.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A plan to equip the third and fourth floors of the new addition at Moline Public Hospital and abandon and raze the old east wing was oulined to aldermen last night by William Getz, member of the board of hospital commissioners. Getz said that the east wing is not fireproof and is beyond economical repair.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Lutheran Hospital's new intensive care unit will be crowded with visitors before it accepts its first patient. The hospital will show off the new eight-bed ICU on the fifth floor and west wing to the public Sunday. For many it will be their only view of an ICU, and for that, they should be grateful.
Back: Available days in January 2008