Day in history for January 4, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- William Shearer, township tax collector, has commenced collections, according to the new township organization. His office is in the county jail over the circuit clerk's office.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The warm current in the river near the Rock Island shore has again played havoc with the ice bridge and another connection will have to be constructed soon.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Dow Vandine, vetern third baseman on the Rock Island baseball team, has been traded to Dubuque for cash consideration.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Mississippi Valley Baseball League, holding it annual meeting today at the Fort Armstrong Hotel, voted to change its classification from D to B and at the same time fixed the monthly salary limit at $1,900, including the manager.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A large group of men representing Rock Island County, area conservation clubs and the Illinois Conservation Department this afternoon inspected two sites for a proposed lake at Loud Thunder Forest Preserve, west of Andalusia. A planning conference is set for 7:30 Tuesday night at the courthouse.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- More than a thousand people mobbed motel lobbies in Geneseo, Moline and Davenport this morning to apply for a couple of hundred jobs available at a Joslin beef-packing plant.
Back: Available days in January 2008