Day in history for January 3, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Last Friday was the most pleasant New Year's Day that has greeted us all for many years.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Sixty-two tramps were held overnight in the city jail during the month of December.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- H.F. Brown of Rock Island was reelected secretary of the Illinois High School Athletic Assn. at Pontiac, Ill., last night. A discussion was held on the subject of salaried coaches for high school athletic teams. Teachers were firmly convinced that paid coaches were to be ignored in athletics.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- H.C. Scherer, Rock Island, has been manager of the McCabe Dry Goods Co. to succeed C.V. Brock, who resigned yesterday.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- When a litter of three guinea pigs was born at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon in the home of Mr. And Mrs. William W. Blomquist, 3909 26th St., Mol., the family dog, 'Penny,' assumed the role of assistant to the guinea pig parents.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Lujack Schierbrock Chevrolet Co. has acquired Jugenheimer Motors Inc., Davenport. Jugenheimer has had the Honda and Mazda automobile franchises the past six years and also has been Iowa's largest motorcycle dealership, representing Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha. The acquisition will result in a new division to be called Lujack Schierbrock Imports.
Back: Available days in January 2008