Day in history for January 28, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Warren Book Store now has several copies of the book, 'My Trip to France' by the Rev. J.P. Donelan. They are offering it for sale at 75 cents per copy.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Charles A. Gardner's noted drama, 'Karl' will be presented tonight at the Harper Theater. It will star Miss Patti Rosa.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Final plans have been made for the dedication program of the new Elks building on 18th St.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Like Napoleon who finally met his Waterloo, Moline High School's hitherto undefeated basketball team 'met its Rock Island' last night at the Augustana gymnasium. The Islanders broke a string of eight Moline victories by defeating their traditional rivals, 30-28. Captain Hugo Birkhahn and Gilbert Church scored 24 points between them to pace the Rock Island team.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Rev. David T. Lindell, who has been on furlough the past year, will be accompanied to the mission fields of India this time by his recent bride, the former Mary Sandberg of Rock Island. The couple will serve a 5 year term in the city of Guntur in the state of Andhra in India
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Tim Wright scored his 100th career victory (and his 22nd of the season) Thursday night as Rock Island's wrestlers defeated Riverdale 34-24.
Back: Available days in January 2008