Day in history for January 26, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- New Fall Goods have been received by Frederick Moss at his Dry Goods Emporium, known as the New York Fancy Store.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The next regular meeting of the teachers' institute of Rock Island County will be held at Port Byron on Feb. 10.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Milwaukee depot ticket office was broken into and $28.60 in money which was locked in a drawer was taken by robbers.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The new foundry of the Mississippi Foundry Corporation, 1700 1st St., Rock Island, affiliated with the Gellman Manufacturing Company, was put in full operation this afternoon.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Buckwalter look at a 50-cent piece left by two armed bandits who held up the Pig Barbeque, 11th Street and 21st Avenue, Rock Island. The bandits took about $110 from the cash register.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Moline Board of Education decided to close eight schools, send ninth-grade students to the high school and allow elementary students to stay at school for lunch starting in September. The closings were recommended by a task force that studied the future of Moline schools for 2 months. They decided to close Jane Addams, William Carr, Grant, Jefferson, McKinley, Maple Grove and Betsy Ross elementary schools and Calvin Coolidge junior high.
Back: Available days in January 2008