Day in history for January 25, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The weather turned bad again Tuesday and more than six inches of snow had fallen in Rock Island. It is a wonder that some persons are able to get about as they do with the streets still covered with the snow.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The total tax receipts for six weeks comes to only $5,200. Delinquents seem to have forgotten the location of the collector's office.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Ministerial Association will meet Monday at the Rock Island YMCA. Moline and Davenport pastors have been invited to attend.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Harold A. Kleinman, Moline, engineer of the People Power Co., spoke to the Rock Island Rotary Club yesterday on the advantages to be found from the installation of natural gas in lieu of manufactured gas.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- John Merrill of Cleveland, a sophomore student at Geneseo High School, looks back on a long career as an Argus carrier salesman, a record surpassed by only one other Argus newsboy. He has now 'retired' after delivering papers six years and nine months.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Telephone service to the Rock Island County courthouse, county building and sheriff's department was interrupted at about 9:30 this morning and county officials were trying to determine the cause early this afternoon.
Back: Available days in January 2008