Day in history for January 23, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- F.H. Warren can offer more than 150 different kinds of wallpaper at his store. This is the best assortment ever offered in Rock Island.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- At 7:30 this morning the mercury sank to 18 degrees below zero. Where is the man who predicts warmer weather during the full of the moon?
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The jail report of the Grand Jury committee states that the county jail is in good condition, but that some of the prisoners employed on the rock pile claim they do not get enough food.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- 'Strange Interlude,' Eugene O'Neill's tragic play, is as great on the screen as it ever was on the stage. Norma Shearer is in the starring role of the film which opened today at the Fort Theater.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- On display, beginning officially today, is the five-passenger 1958 Deluxe Anglia, from the English-built Ford line, at Fred Piehl, Inc., 526 20th St., Rock Island, the exclusive dealer for the Quad-City, western Illinois and eastern Iowa areas.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Bulldogs top Moline, East Moline. Bettendorf won six of the 11 events in the second annual East Moline Invitational swim meet and topped Moline 270-252 for first place. The host Panthers were a surprising third in the 10-team meet.
Back: Available days in January 2008