Day in history for January 20, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Great Western Fire Co. of Rock Island went to the aid of the Davenport Fire Dept. The fire was quickly extinguished.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Harper's Theater is crowded this afternoon with people anxious to see Tom Thumb.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- City Clerk Martin T. Rudgren presented a letter from a large number of business houses of Rock Island to the City Council. The letter protests the creation of the office of city electrical inspector.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A.L. Whittenberg, Springfield, secretary of the state board of education, who is at Augustana College for a conference with the educational policy committee, addressed students and faculty this morning after chapel exercises. Whittenberg praised the high standards which Augustana holds in the educational field of Illinois.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- An East Moline youth is having quite an experience. He has visited both poles in a year and is presently on duty in the Antarctic near the South Pole. The youth, Harlan J. Fleming, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wilford Flemming, Route 2, East Moline.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Darlene Delleman and Bob Haedt have formed Counterpoint, a videotape dating service at 3432 Jersey Ridge Road, Davenport. Clients can choose other clients to date by watching videotapes of each other.
Back: Available days in January 2008