Day in history for January 19, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Charles Tanner, at the Chicago and Rock Island passenger depot, will keep on hand the best oysters which can be procured the entire winter. The oysters come by express from Baltimore and are warranted fresh.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Owing to badly drifted snow at frequent intervals along the track, the incoming passenger train on the Peoria line was more than four hours late this afternoon.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Steps were taken to raise $250,000 for the jubilee fund for Augustana College at the annual district conference in session at Moline.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Merle C. Nutt, Moline, vice president of the Moline Iron Works, was re-elected president of the board of directors of the Moline YMCA for the third consecutive time at the annual business meeting.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Getting used to retirement may prove to be difficult for Louis Hummel who recently completed 45 years of service with John Deere Plow Works, Moline. Hummel still gets up at 5 in the morning, the same time he did when he was an assembler for John Deere.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County Sheriff's deputies teamed up with state police and FBI agents in continuing the search today for armed men who robbed the Andalusia Community Bank of more than $10,000 Tuesday afternoon.
Back: Available days in January 2008