Day in history for January 16, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Our streets yesterday presented a very lively appearance. There is a good deal of wheat now coming in and much of it is from Iowa.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- All departments of the Rock Island Arsenal are working full time with the exception of stone-cutters, who have employed only six days since Dec. 1.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Statistics compiled by Clerk C.W. Hawes of Modern Woodmen of America gives information regarding the enormous amount of business which passed through the Rock Island office.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Immediately following their action early this morning in deciding to abide by the proclamation of Mayor Chester Thompson declaring a two-week legal bank holiday, Rock Island bankers today set in motion plans which they hope will safeguard the banking structure of the city from future protective measures.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Willard Wretman was reelected president of the Moline Horticultural Society at the annual dinner session in the Moline Garden Center last night. The society elected Dr. J.C. Johnson an honorary life member.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Knights of Columbus of Rock Island has finally found a home. The organanization has purchased the former Johnston Dodge property and plans to convert the former automotive dealership to a clubhouse.
Back: Available days in January 2008