Day in history for January 13, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We are at present engaged in making out bills up to the first of February against all persons who are indebted to us. They are generally small.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- President Arthur has just sent to Congress a communication from the Secretary of War which recommends an additional appropriation of $20,000 for completing the water power canal at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- An ordinance providing for a vote on a $1,000 license fee for saloons was brought up in the City Council last night and defeated by a 10-4 majority.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Carl H. Gamble, manager of the John Deere Spreader Works, Moline, was elected president of the Short Hills Country Club at the annual meeting of the board of directors yesterday afternoon.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Board of directors of St. Mary's Greek Orthodox Church, 1230 18th Ave., East Moline, met yesterday afternoon and approved a $6,299 remodeling program, according to an announcement today by Ted Bagatelas, building chairman.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Job security, excellent benefits and high wages acted as a magnet Tuesday and Wednesday attracting about 700 job seekers to the Cambridge Community Hall to take the U.S. Postal Service's clerk and carrier examination.
Back: Available days in January 2008