Day in history for January 11, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Odd Fellows of Rock Island are making preparations for a ball and other entertainment tomorrow night.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Secretary of War today gave permission to the Davenport, Rock Island and Moline street car company to construct a double-track railway on the government bridge between Davenport and Rock Island.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Revival meetings at Memorial Christian Church continue to show a good deal of interest.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Kirk Journy, 1700 26th St., Rock Island, was appointed managing secretary of the Quad-City Association of Milk Dealers to succeed E. Gilbert Kolls of Rock Island yesterday afternoon at a meeting of the board of directors.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The barking of her dog was credited today with saving the life of Mrs. Henry Bender whose house on U.S. 6 about three miles east of Quad-City Airport was gutted by fire this morning. The dog, Spike, a large hunting dog, jumped on Mrs. Bender's bed, and she and the dog fled as the blaze leaped out of control.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Parents of United Township High School students may be able to ask that their children stay on campus during lunch hours next year. That's one of the alternatives the school board is considering to its 12-year-old open campus lunch policy.
Back: Available days in January 2008