Day in history for December 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Dr. Wagner, the phrenologist, is giving a course of lectures in Davenport. He is expected to draw a large audience.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- F.C.A. Denkmann is at home again for the holidays after a trip to Arkansas.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The appearance of a cigar vending machine in the corridor of the courthouse occasioned some comment today.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- With a light snowfall and freezing temperatures blending to make a colorful Christmas scene, the stage has been set for the visit of Santa Claus to Rock Island tomorrow.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Work on the installation of a new roof costing $20,334 will begin within two weeks at Rock Island High School. The contract for the replacing of the 20-year-old roof has been awarded to Harrington Roofing Contractors, Inc., Moline.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Four women braved freezing temperatures this morning to dramatize the hazards and hardships some Grant School students will suffer if the building is closed and they are transferred to Logan School. Moline officials are considering closing Grant School, 2430 6th Ave., and others to cut costs and trim a projected $1.8 million deficit. Because the district does not operate any school buses, students would have to hike up the hill to Logan, 1602 25th St.
Back: Available days in December 2007