Day in history for December 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The festival Thursday for the Methodist Church came off pleasantly. We learned the profits amounted to something over $300.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Although there are good prospects of a settlement of the railroad rate war, the excitement over the 50-cent rate to Chicago has not subsided.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The board of directors of Augustana College today refused to restore intercollegiate athletics at the college, claiming that the synod's position on all athletics must first be changed.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Francis C. King of East Moline, who assumes the office of state's attorney Monday, announced today that Forest Dizotell, Rock Island, and Francis J. Coyle, Moline, will be his assistants.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A week to 10 days may elapse before the city of Rock Island knows whether it can renew negotiations for purchase of the old bus barn at 3448 5th Ave., Rock Island for use as a city garage.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Nearly eight months have passed since Moline Public Hospital officials announced plans for a $15 million renovation program - an announcement followed within minutes by Lutheran Hosptial's proposal to buy Public. The twin announcements forced into public view a 16-year-old debate over the future of the hospitals.
Back: Available days in December 2007