Day in history for December 30, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Masonic soiree at the Island City Hotel on Monday was one of the most pleasant affairs which has taken place in our city for a long time.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Miss Lucy Cable remembered each of the Trinity singers with a $5 gold piece.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Attorney General Byers of Iowa yesterday addressed 2,000 persons in Rock Island on 'Law Enforcement.'
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A reception for Clinton C. Lane, new general secretary of the Rock Island YMCA, and Mrs. Lane, will be held at the 'Y' Monday as part of the New Year's Day open house program.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Next week staff members of the Rock Island county superintendent of schools office will deliver packets containing materials on the March of Dimes campaign to some 1,000 classrooms in the nearly one hundred schools, both public and parochial in the county.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-Cities unemployment rate soared to a record of 17.5 percent in November, including a record 21.3 percent in Rock Island County. Gary Wilson, Illinois Job Service economist, linked the surge to a slowdown in construction work and layoffs spread throughout local industries. The rate is the highest since the state began keeping records in 1962. The previous record was set in October, when the rate was 16.8 percent.
Back: Available days in December 2007