Day in history for December 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A dancing academy has been opened in Empire Hall by Prof. Robinson. Call and shake a foot.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- J.R. Johnston is the oldest notary public in Rock Island, in point of continuous service. His first commission was issued in 1865.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Despite the recent financial difficulties which have affected the business world, the registration at the Rock Island hotels yesterday was much larger than for several years.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- In a Big Nine Conference game, featured by excellent defensive play on the part of both teams, Rock Island High School's basketball quintet last night bowed to Canton, 17-14, in the Canton Fieldhouse. It was the first loss suffered by the Islanders in three games this season, Hugo Birkhahn, Harold Fink and Kenneth Johnson turned in the best performances for Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Deere And Co. exercised the final option today on the 675-acre site southeast of Moline where it will build a new center for many of the company's head-quarter activities.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Roger C. Wahlheim, Geneseo, was presented the Eagle Award by the the Boy Scouts of America. He is one of two percent of all Boy Scouts to attain the Eagle rank. He cleaned and painted the Cole cabin, a Scout cabin, as a service project.
Back: Available days in December 2007