Day in history for December 23, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A lecture will be delivered by Horace Greenley in Moline Jan. 7. A special train will be run to accommodate any who may wish to attend from Rock Island. Horace isn't any great shakes as a lecturer.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- J.F. McKibben, manager of the American Express office, reported today that this year's Christmas business is at least a third larger than that of last year.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island has 49 automobiles registered with the secretary of state. Moline has 59, East Moline, three and Silvis has one.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- E. Gilbert Kolls, Rock Island, announced today that he has resigned as secretary of the Quad-City Association of Milk Dealers.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Milan Rifle Club claimed its second victory in league competition Friday night by defeating the Kewanee Rifle Club team, 927 to 915. The match was held on the Geneseo Rifle Club range.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The LeClaire Hotel's restaurant, the Prime Rib Room, and its 250 transient room operations will close Jan. 1. The Jug bar and the hotel's 40 apartments will remain open. Principal owner, Oscar Ellis, said 32 of the hotel's 44 employees will be laid off. Sussco Enterprises, Florida and Liskor International, Chicago have both expressed interest in purchasing the property.
Back: Available days in December 2007