Day in history for December 2, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Miss Harris of Rock Island is reported to be one of the fortunate persons who escaped at the burning of the Rainbow.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Three Iowa farmers ran their horses over the Rock Island bridge today, expecting to escape paying the toll, but the police were telephoned and Squire Cropper fined each of the men $3 and costs.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A lively session of the Rock Island County Board of Supervisors is expected tomorrow when delegates from Cleveland's Ferry and Colona will appear to argue the location of the new Rock River bridge.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Sheriff Fred R. Schlueter announced that Deputy Ray Hasson of Moline will be advanced to the position of chief deputy to succeed Howard Gregg when Gregg becomes circuit clerk next week.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Burglars last night and Saturday night entered three Rock Island establishments, including the public library, but got little for their efforts. Their biggest 'gain' was about $85 in cash and $5 to $6 in stamps.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Changing shopping patterns and a shaky local economy have prompted Mosenfelders Inc. to close its downtown Rock Island store. The mem's wear store, which has been at 1709 2nd Ave. for 105 years, should close by the end of January or early February.
Back: Available days in December 2007