Day in history for December 18, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The high school boys have laid the foundation of a fine library some day with the purchase of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary at Porter's Store.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Plans have now been made to rebuild the Rock River bridge in Moline which was carried away last winter by the ice. Work will begin soon.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A number of Rock Island residents are having their fortunes told by the smoked paper method. An imprint of the hand is taken and sent to Chicago for the reading.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Ray Schoales Jr., Rock Island, completed requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout at the Rock Island area council Boy Scout court of honor last night at scout headquarters.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A campaign is under way to create a 50-acre lake as a water playground at Rock Island County's Loud Thunder Forest Preserve, west of Andalusia.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- More than 20,000 pounds of government surplus cheese will be given to the unemployed and low-income families in the Quad Citites. The cheese is being given to the local Salvation Army and will be distributed by union officials at three local halls. Families are entitled to one 5-pound box of cheese each. The unions will distribute 4,788 boxes in the Illinois Quad Cities.
Back: Available days in December 2007