Day in history for December 16, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- It has been suggested that a festival for the benefit of the poor of Rock Island would not be inappropriate. We have been requested to mention the subject.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Christine Nilsson, the peerless Swedish songstress, has agreed to present a concert at Augustana College next month when she returns from a tour of California.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Union Electric Co. presented a new ordinance to the city council last night raising its rates to $52 a year for business phones and $27 for residential phones.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- After a sinking spell which produced a reading of 10 below zero in Rock Island this morning for a new all-time official minimum, the mercury began to rise and the forecast indicated that temperatures would probably warm up to zero tonight.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Twenty-two Rock Island city employees are scheduled to receive service awards as a feature of the third annual City Employees Christmas Party to be held Thursday night at Watch Tower Inn in Black Hawk State Park.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Picture a good cross country runner. Then, picture a good wrestler. Now, picture them as one in the same. The image of good cross country runner being a good wrestler doesn't seem to fit. But it does if you are East Moline's John Sandoval.
Back: Available days in December 2007