Day in history for December 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Preparations are being made for a grand Masonic soiree at Smith's Hall Dec. 28. It will be one of the finest affairs ever originated in the place.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. Rooney of this city crossed to Davenport on the ice yesterday, the first crossing of the season. Today the surface of the river has been covered with venturesome people of all ages.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Mildred Holland, the talented American actress, will appear in her latest production, 'A Paradise of Lies,' at the Illinois Theater on Christmas Day.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The 1932 football season of Rock Island produced a net profit of $593.15, according to a report submitted to the Board of Education last night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A strange light in the sky climaxed by what seemed to be an aerial explosion was reported here Friday night by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mills of West Liberty, Iowa. In Moline, Saturday an astronomer said he felt 'quite certain' they had seen a falling meteor.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- One of Moline's best-loved physicians died Nov. 30 after serving this community for 56 years. Each of his thousands of patients has his or her own favorite memory and story about Dr. Paul Phillip Youngberg, who was 87 and retired at the time of his death.
Back: Available days in December 2007